Sunday, October 6, 2013

All About Baking: Mini Maddies

A few weeks ago I bought a mini Madeleine sheet, and I am very excited to tell you that I used it today!

I made chocolate Madeleines rather than your basic lemon, but I am sure it won't be long before I try the traditional type too!

Today I want to first go over how to adjust when you realize that they recipe you chose was not the best recipe.

I made the first round of my mini Maddies thinking that the batter was too think, but because I followed a recipe I stuck with it. Sadly, the first set (while still tasting great) did not form those cute little shells on the front like they should. I attributed this to it's thickness and inability to really cover the sheet properly. What did I do you ask? Well, I added a little bit of milk at a time until I came up with a thin enough consistency to fill the sheet without having to spread the batter myself.

The original recipe is as follows:
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 t. baking powder
2 oz butter (1/4 cup)
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
2 egg yolks

375 degrees
cream sugar, vanilla and butter
add eggs one at a time
mix dry ingredients together
add dry ingredients to batter

So I ended up adding probably about 2 Tablespoons of milk, maybe 3 to a half batter. Which would me to adjust this recipe it would be best to add 1/4 c. milk. OR it would be good to test it and melt the butter originally to see how that affects the consistency.

But, since I didn't foresee the problem I had to adjust accordingly during the recipe. Here's a picture between the two.
To the left are the thicker battered maddies and to the right are the adjusted ones. Excuse the bright flash
But, end result: tasty tasty tasty and fun! So, never be afraid of adjusting while baking. If you ever have a baking question, please ask away and I would be happy to answer you as best I can!

Decorate with powdered sugar!
pretty little shell shape!

This was All About Baking: Mini Maddies. Please stay tuned for more baking tips!




No comments:

Post a Comment