Thursday, June 14, 2012

All about Baking: Methods







Methods do affect the end result of your baked product.

Here are 3 standard methods to mixing your baked good.

1. Quick/Dump Method: where you dump all of your ingredients and mix, there is no real order. This is going to create less airy products like brownies. If you like dense cakes or cookies you can consider mixing all of your ingredients roughly all at once.

2. Conventional Method: this is where you have step processes. First you cream your butter and sugar, the longer you cream it the more air that will be incorporated, therefore the lighter your texture you will be. Then you mix in your egg completely. Next you add dry and liquid ingredients, however, you alternate the two in even amounts to ensure not over mixing. Over mixing can cause toughness to occur. This is how you bake your cookies and cakes. Cookies do slightly differ in the fact that they do not have the liquid added in the end, in their case you just mix in the dry ingredients.
**When adding the dry and wet ingredients in the end you are not supposed to use beaters, but stir by hand. If you do not prefer to do that, it is okay just know that it can affect the texture. And, everyone can alter steps some depending on the texture they themselves like.
            For example yesterday I baked chocolate chips cookies, but I followed the recipe to a T, which I never do. And, to be honest I did not care for the texture as much as when I cream the butter and sugar less time. But, that's my personal preference. Experiment and discover yours! Oh, and let me know what you like :)




3. Muffin Method: (which I have to confess I have never used, because I never knew about it, but I am going to try it soon). This method is where you completely mix all of your dry ingredients and all of your liquid ingredients in separate bowls. Then you create a hole in the middle of your dry ingredients, pour in the liquids and mix gently by hand.



This was all about baking: methods. There will be more to come in this category!

No comments:

Post a Comment