Monday, June 25, 2012

My Summer Diet: When Allergies Strike

So, for the end of my weekend I ate a lot of blueberries and eggplant. The high antioxident colors of blue and purple might be good at fighting cancer cells, but they sure are lousy at fighting allergens.

On Friday I experienced terrible allergy eyes. I wear the really advanced Acuvue Oasis contacts that expose your eyes to more Oxygen during the day, well they also have only 14 days of good wear in them. If I forget and put them in on day 15 I pay for it. I could hardly see once the afternoon hit. I put on my glasses, used allergy eye drops, took singulair and sudafed, ibuprofen, and took a nap. Nothing still blood shot and tears just dripping down my face. (That's a pretty image isn't it?) I had to cancel any plans I had for the evening and opted for bed early with a warm rag over my eyes. Thankfully I woke up Saturday morning cured. And, I put in new contacts.

So, I was already bewildered at my chances of having two allergy attacks, if you will, in one week, that when Saturday's came I was taken by full force surprise. (As you may have read in My Summer Diet: Red Disaster, I experienced a reaction to Stevia). 

In the years past I had had reactions to eating gluten-free baked goods. The baked goods are more dense and contain ingredients that my body is never exposed to, and apparently is extremely sensitive to. However, since I had been back from Peru I thought that maybe my body had changed, because I had eaten 2 gluten-free cupcakes on June 3 at my sister's bridal shower. I was so relieved to be cured, because it is so much easier for me to not react to gluten-free products since my sister-in-law reacts to gluten full products.

Well.... I had not be cured. I baked gluten free baked goods for my sister-in-law's tea party that I threw for her birthday on Saturday. (Which you can read about in All About Baking: Gluten-Free Tea Party). I ate 1.5 small scones, 1.5 lemon curd tartlets, 1 mini cucumber sandwich, and 2 mini cupcakes. I tell you the amounts to allow you to imagine how little I ate of gluten-free products. Because they were so little, I would say normally I would have eaten more, but I wasn't too terribly hungry. Anyways with just that small amount of food, I was soo soo sick. I could hardly stand, I wasn't hungry at all. My stomach hurt so badly, I couldn't sleep well. Sunday morning I woke up early and the first thing I did was lay on my floor for an hour. I felt terrible. I'm pretty sure I even ran a low grade fever. 

The best I can explain to you how I felt is as if I had food poisoning. My body for some strange reason reacts to the flour or xanthan gum or something as if it were food poisoning. 

So, with 3 allergy attacks in one week combined with my diet plan I lost 2.5 pounds. My guess is allergies can really kick ya into weight loss. This week I am using a different strategy, see My Summer Diet: The Switch for more details.

This was My Summer Diet: When Allergies Strike. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment