Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Andie's Kitchen: Flour Tortillas

Today I decided that buying flour tortillas is too expensive considering they typically only come in packs of 8. To avoid going to the store today I made the bold decision to make homemade flour tortillas. I found a great recipe on allrecipes.com. It was also really simple which is a definite plus!

The fun part of making homemade tortillas is the mixing with the dough your hands. When I have the opportunity to really create and mold food with my hands it is makes me feel like an accomplished cook. When I envision great cooks I think more of heritage and ethnicity in its purest form rather than a culinary school artist chef. So taking the time to really create delicious foods like homemade tortillas really speaks to me and makes me grateful for all of the women in Mexico who have continuously kept tradition and passed the art down. I would recommend to everyone to try a truly from scratch approach to a meal at least once in your life. You will not regret it!

Also, along with my homemade tortillas I made homemade refried beans. I soaked my pinto and black bean mixture (the hard beans in a bag) for around 8 hours, then boiled them for 40 minutes and fried them in butter, onions, cheese, garlic salt, cayenne, and cumin. They were amazing, and a wonderful compliment to the tortilla!

They look like any other tortilla, but taste so much better!

The recipe makes a lot of tortillas!

This was Andie's Kitchen: Flour Tortillas. I hope you enjoyed cooking with me! Stay tuned for more fun creations in the kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment