Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fall 2013: When You Don't Know What To Say

Okay I just finished the potentially the craziest week of the semester so far. I have an objective in this blog. I want to write it to you to prove a point, however, the point might not make sense until the end so bare with me, because it might sound a little complainy - I'm hoping for it to raise your stress level a little bit...

My last week in a nutshell:

Friday: all day work on take home test (literally all day), missed a meeting, helped at karate, my car will NOT move out of park, cooked dinner for my brother, went to go to bed (at my parent's house) realized I didn't have contact stuff so had to drive home (to my condo) at midnight.

Saturday: help at karate (borrow a belt), study for Sports Nutrition, study... study... study, go to a friend's house, late

Sunday: Study ALL day - watched a sermon online from Mars Hill, study some more, tutor for 2 hours, back to my place and study some more

Monday: wake up to study and finish the take home exam, meeting at 11:30, meeting at 1, test at 2 - in between chaos broke lose and a lot of phone tag and trying to figure out what I can do, class, 15 minutes to buy shoes, pick up a girl from swim, babysit, home at 9, make a powerpoint presentation

Tuesday: day shadowing at the hospital 8-1, drive to school (in my dad's truck) realized I couldn't park on campus without the pass - trying to find a parking lot, get to class, present the presentation, get home finish homework that I forgot online in a panic, run to tutor, run to karate... a little late, borrow a belt, stay at my parent's house

Wednesday: study all morning for accounting, class, run to health center - super sore throat - not enough time, test, class again, tutor calculus, home, watch Nashville - stay up way too late

Thursday: Advanced auto parts for car part, my dad fixes my car, run to karate, online lecture, class 4-8



Did that sound ridiculously stressful? I hope that you see that it was completely packed, I may have even forgotten things... Okay now watch this video (it's 15 minutes, but really worth it)

http://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend.html

Okay now that you have listened to the Ted Talk.

Change perspective:

All of the pressure and determination of studying allowed me to pull all A's on all of my tests (98, 96 and still waiting on the last grade, but I'm sure it's an A)

I made it through the entire week and I am so relieved. Without all of the stress and reactions that my body produced in response I may not have been able to power through it. I am exhausted, but I am feeling great and glad to have stress responses the way that I do. I feel empowered to use pressure for my benefit now rather than let myself feel overpowered by anxiety and stress.

Guess what else! Fixing my car (which I had a melt down about not being able to afford to fix) only cost $9! And it took my dad less than 10 minutes to fix!

So now go out and be empowered to overcome your stressful situations! Believe in what your body is telling you! Talk to people, be social :)

When you don't know what to say, just say Jesus. There is power in His name, trust in Jesus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWbYo6H0WiI

***Please note that not all stress is equal... if they types of stress you face is too little sleep that will negatively affect your body no matter what you think of stress, to fix it sleep the proper amount! If your body is stressed from lack of nutrition, eat a proper balance. If you are stressed because you're bored, exercise - create energy and excitement ***

This was Fall 2013: When You Don't Know What To Say. Stay tuned for more of my fall semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment