Thursday, July 12, 2012

In the Pantry: Oatmeal

I have recently discovered a deep love for oatmeal. I learned to love it in Peru and love that you can do so many things with it.

In Peru they have a version that they drink. They flavor it with cloves and cinnamon (canela) and pour more liquid into it than we do. Then you fill up a mug and drink it! It's actually rather tasty.

When we ate at the mission, however, we ate regular oatmeal. That was great too! I ate it with sugar, cinnamon, and evaporated milk.

So, why is this a must have in your pantry?
Because Oats are full of fiber and healthy protein. They contain a type of fiber that actually is healthy for your heart and can decrease your risk of heart disease. (Think about it, that's why Cheerios can claim that fact, because they're made out of oats!). Oh and it lowers bad cholesterol.

What type is best?
Personally I love steel cut oats. It lasts a long time as well since you need half the amount to make one serving. I do feel fuller longer since it is thicker. The only down side is that they take a good 25-30 minutes to cook. But, they are worth it. If you don't have time in the mornings cook them the night before and reheat in the am :)


Was only $3.99 at Harris Teeter.
And if you don't have time or the desire to switch to steel cut, you can always eat regular old fashioned. I don't recommend the quick oats, even though they supposedly contain the same amount of fiber and protein... something about genetically modified doesn't appetize me.
 

So, I want to share with you a few oatmeal options that I have been enjoying.

My most common breakfast oatmeal is High Antioxidant oatmeal.
I cook my 1/4 cup of steel cut oats in 1.5 cups of skim milk. When it is almost complete I add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and 1.5 sometimes 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (since cocoa and cinnamon are so bitter alone). Occasionally I will add extra milk or vanilla or maybe if I'm feeling a little indulgent a bit of butter. It is delicious and cinnamon and cocoa powder have great health benefits. If you don't believe me google it :)
This time I used old fashioned oats.



Next I tried a new fun version of oatmeal and I liked it a lot! 
I call it carrot pudding oatmeal.
That's just what it is. I cooked shredded carrots in a little bit (I mean barely any) butter with 1 tablespoon of sugar until tender. Then I cooked my oats in my skim milk. Once the oats were almost finished I added the carrots. Then I beat an egg and tempered the egg into my oatmeal mixture. I let it cook a bit more, added vanilla and a smidge more of butter. And, poof wonderfulness. (I do make a carrot pudding custard which is incredible as well!)
Next time more carrots!


Another crazy invention I had was Pumpkin oatmeal!
It was for my Orange day during my first week of vegan breakfasts. I made the oatmeal with water, added a little bit of sugar and 1/2 cup of pumpkin and some cinnamon. It is fantastic! I do love pumpkin though and I didn't need the extra fat for flavor.
Yum yum yum yum

Here's a recipe I did NOT create, that I do love. Shawn one of the missionaries in Peru would make this. It is called Left Over Oatmeal Cake.

1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 c. leftover oatmeal
2 t. baking soda
2 2/3 c. flour
cinnamon

bake at 350 degrees until baked. 30ish minutes

then add topping and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown
4 T butter
2/3 c brown sugar
1 c coconut
4 T evaporated milk
1 c nuts

**I am going to try to make a version with less sugar, but until then this is a great recipe!**

Other things to try.
Add oats to the top of muffins or in your pancake mix for some extra fiber! Diets in high fiber are the best diets to have!

And, I do plan to try this, but have yet to. Overnight Oatmeal! (click for link to recipe)
Love the mason jars too!

This was In the Pantry: Oatmeal. Stay tuned for more items to keep in your pantry!



No comments:

Post a Comment