Thursday, October 18, 2012

Souptober: Reuben Soup

Day 15. This soup started very very early. I woke up at 6:45 to leave at 6:50 to go to my brother's house to watch my nephew and prepare Reuben soup at their house. But, first I had to buy the brisket. I fortunately knew that the Harris Teeter in Indian Land has a wonderful butcher staff that will cut fresh brisket into manageable and affordable sizes. So, instead of spending $30 on too much meat I was able to spend $9.50 on just the right amount.

First thing I did was put the brisket into the crock pot, add mustard seeds and cayenne pepper to mimic corned beef and started cooking. I added 6 cups of water too.
Next I added 2 bay leaves and 3 shredded carrots. Followed by 20 ounces of sauerkraut.
I spiced it with thyme and garlic, pepper and more cayenne to give it a good kick.
The last thing added after the meat was cut, was 14 ounces of shredded pure goodness of Swiss cheese. There was no salt needed because the cheese was just salty enough.
Serve hot with croutons.

YUM. Great recipe from Jill Coward.



This was Reuben Soup. Stay tuned for more filling meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment