Monday, October 1, 2012

Souptober: Wedding Soup

Tonight I embarked on my month long soups adventure with the delicious Italian Wedding Soup.

I was telling my mom about how I was planning to make it tonight, constantly asking what all the ingredients that I needed. (I had previously looked up recipes, but there's just something about having mom's - especially when it had been a VERY long time).

Nostalgia set in both of us and she decided she was going to make the soup too. Since she was going to make it, we might as well pull forces and all eat together.

So, I arrived at my house to contribute the fresh spinach I had bought for this delicious meal. My mom already had the meatballs in the oven to get them brown to be placed in the soup. I pulled them out and placed them in the soup, cut up some dark green spinach, rinsed it and threw that in also. And, magic happened the spinach turned a bright green! (This can be explained by science and chemicals, but it was just so pretty I decided not to try to remember the reasons).

I cut some red onion and threw those in too just for a little fresh crunch, since the soup was almost ready.


We served the soup with round wheat rolls and shaved Parmesan cheese. It was truly SOUPTASTIC!



RECIPE
>This is a rough guess because we just cook, we don't actually follow recipes to a T when we know them already<
4 back ribs
boiling water
1 lb ground beef
Parmesan cheese
oats
nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 cup frozen spinach
parsley
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1/4 red onion, chopped
salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
Parmesan cheese for the top

Instructions:
Boil the ribs to make a rich beef broth.
Once boiled for about an hour or two, place in white onion, frozen spinach and parsley.
Mix together the ground beef, Parm cheese, oats, egg and nutmeg to make meatballs.
Roll the meatballs, either bake or pan sear them.
Place into the broth.
Cut fresh spinach, rinse, place into soup.
Cut red onion, place into soup.
Wait approximately 10 minutes.
Serve with Parmesan cheese and whole wheat bread. (If you prefer noodles you can use noodles as well)

This was Souptober: Wedding Soup! Stay tuned to know more about my Souptastic month!

No comments:

Post a Comment