Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Souptober: Sopa Chile Verde

Day 3. Soup 3. And NO disappointments yet!

This recipe is stellar! I adapted a recipe given to me by a close friend's mother. This luscious spicy concoction is from the kitchen of Jill Coward, another fellow soup lover.

Her recipe calls for pork and fresh tomatillos, but since I pretend to be Kosher (in reality I just don't like pig meat) I substituted the pork for stew beef, and since the tomatillos I saw at the grocery stores I went to were a little out of season, I bought salsa verde which is that essentially mixed with green chiles.

So, the first step to the ever so fun way to make soup was to:

Flash cook the stew beef in batches. I did 4 batches of meat.
After all the meat was flash cooked I placed it into the crockpot. Then next I sauteed two small onions in the left over olive oil and meat fat, added 1 T cumin, 1/2 t paprika, garlic salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Then I:
Added 1.5 cups of chicken broth, let it simmer for just a minute and...
Poured it into the crockpot with the meat and turned it to high.
Next I had a little fun....:
Charring a jalapeno pepper, but it wouldn't balance on the grill so I...
Held it over the flames using grill tongs.
Once it was completely charred
I peeled the skin off of it, put it into a blender with  the salsa verde and added it to the crockpot.
I let the soup marinate and cook all afternoon for at least 5 hours in the crockpot. 2 hours on high, 3 on low. And, OH MAN was it good soup! I served it hot with...
Avocado slices, cheese, and sour cream.

Lydia and Amy both complimented it, I can't quite remember what they said exactly, but the term BALLER seems to sum it up pretty well!

Delicious soup! Thank you Mrs. Coward!

This was Souptober: Sopa Chile Verde. Stay tuned for more from Souptober!

No comments:

Post a Comment